Monday, April 16, 2007



BOOKS, FABULOUS BOOKS!!


Everywhere you look around our house, there is a children's book laying around, almost to the point of being dangerous (do you know how slippery those little suckers are if you step on one that's laying flat on the carpet??).

Mr. Reid LOVES books. He loves touch and feel books, books that play a little tune, books with paper pages and books with cardboard pages. He looks at books about letters, numbers, shapes and Bible Stories. He. Loves. Books. With the exception of only one book ever. "I Love You This Much" about Big and Little Nut Brown Hare. He. Hates. That. Book. Don't know why, probably never will.

His most recent favorite is a John Deere book about a tractor. I bought it for him yesterday and since I brought it home, he has requested that one of us read it to him about 4523938 times.

We've gotten books as gifts and of course, we buy some every few weeks to keep things fresh, because when your baby shuffles through ALL the books fifteen times every our and pulls out the one he wants, holds it up to his Daddy and says "book??", then you better be ready to read. And here's the thing. Even if HE doesn't get bored with his books, WE do, and we need variety.

Another great and valuable resource for books is the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. Dolly's foundation wants every community's child to have a new book every month for the first five years to promote reading. So individual communities can sign on and commit to fund the program for people in their area. Doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, if your community runs the program, your kiddo can get age-appropriate, quality books in the mail EVERY MONTH FOR FIVE YEARS!! Wow. Our community operates the program through Deaconess Women's Hospital. To find out if your community offers the program, go to the following website: www.imaginationlibrary.com . You can also sign up for books for your family at that site.


Happy Reading!


Em


4 comments:

Mich said...

We love books too!!!! M's favorites include hop on pop and her box of 26 alphabet books. 26 books--open the box, take out a book, close the box,walk across the room, sit on my lap, read the book, start a pile, repeat. 26 times. Too funny about " I Love You This Much!!" (M tore the cover off her copy!)

Bryan said...

Hey Em!! Awesome to see Woobie's doing good!! We miss him and hope to see him soon. THANK YOU, all for coming to my birthday party. I sincerely appreciate it and was surprised!!! ;)

Give, Woob a hug and Brymo, a sock in the arm for me!! LOL
B

Anonymous said...

Dear Reid,

I LOVE your monkey! You are so lucky.

I'm envious of your big vocabulary! But aren't my keyboarding skills very good for a 19 month old?

My mama says you have the cutest sweet cheeks - she bets they get pinched all the time....

She also says to tell your mom, "Happy Mother's Day!" from us!

Love,

Baby A.

Jennifer said...

Big Roo,

You are too precious!! I love your rat!! Our Uncle Sammy is way too cool. Let me know when you need a baby sitter-I'm a little busy for the next month but once I get through June I believe things will slow down and hopefully we can get some well deserved play time in. Until then I love you, and will keep you in my prayers